plus one

Another Badd Creation Mobile DJ Service, 32656

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hiring a Wedding DJ,

Today with so many mobile DJ’s (Disk Jockey’s) how do you choose the one that is right for you?

Many DJ companies state they are they are experts at Weddings. I have been a DJ for years and the stories I can tell you about the un-expected things that can happen at a reception. The little un-expected things. Not all Weddings are the same and stating you are an expert at performing Weddings receptions is untrue. I have honed my skills for many years, and I still face the unexpected events every time I set out to the next perfectly planned Wedding reception. I do try to plan for most things but you can never be prepared for everything.

I have a few favorites that I was in no way prepared for but was able to somehow pull the whole thing together.

My most recent memory is a small wedding in Keystone Heights, Florida; I was booked a week before the event not giving me much time to prepare but it was enough I received all the requested music and was requested to play all of the wedding music as well. The edition of playing all the wedding music was unexpected but okay I love doing what I do. We can make this work. The song list changed again mid-week so again, we scrambled to obtain the additional music and re-organize the play list.

It was a hot day the Wedding and reception was outside but I was assured there would be power cover and oh yes air conditioning. I arrived at the event where I say a huge tent with multiple portable air conditioners running. I was shown where to set up and began to run my cords to a power source where I discovered no available outlets the portable Air conditioning units were using them. I then unloaded all the cords I had with me in an attempt to draw power from an outlet on the backside of the house the outlet did not work. Please keep in mind this is all during the hottest part of the day in the dreaded North Florida heat. Finally, we were able to use a three-way extension cord to draw power from the generator supplying power to the Air Conditioning units.

Mean while the start time for the wedding was moments away none of the equipment had been turned on. The Bride was waiting in the tent to march down the isle where I was powering up and preparing the wedding selections and she begins to get nervous and anxious not to mention even with the air conditioning it was still ninety degrees in that tent. Someone looked to me and said do something, now I am the DJ does she want a song, does she need some water someone else said no say something to her. So I told her it’s game time put on your game face and let's get this thing done! She smiled nodded and took her position.

Now I am to play songs based on verbal and visual queues from the wedding party, however the clear plastic door to the tent made it almost impossible to clearly see what was going on. The wedding party was about a hundred yards away making verbal queues well beyond difficult to hear. Kimmie my booking agent and wife was able to stay in view of my small tent opening and be close enough to the wedding party to hear and see all of my queues for the next song and to signal me has to what was happening.

The reception was very friendly the music was low the guest were laughing and talking and eating, the groom took a few moment to proudly show me his Star Wars cuff links his new bride gave him as a wedding gift and to show me the Han Solo and Princess Leigh wedding cake topper with a giant grin. The Groom told me he is a huge Star Wars fan and has been since he was a child. I excused myself and went to work on the reception music. Yes, I had to play a Star Wars song for the Groom he and the Bride looked amazed and smiled when they heard “March of the Ewok's" playing. Then has the song ended and the next one began complete power failure my equipment the Air conditioning everything shut down. Someone forgot to check the generator...it had ran out of fuel. Worse yet, no one thought to have extra fuel on hand.

There was a lot of miscommunication at this point everyone thought someone else went to purchase more fuel for the generator, two hours later finally power again. Keep in mind I was booked for four hours, I could have packed up and left for several reasons one I had been there four hours, and two my contract states power must be supplied. However, that just did not feel right to me so we stayed for several more hours everyone danced and had a great time.

In short, I could have given up said I cannot work like this showed them the contract and said hey, there is no power so I am leaving and you still need to pay me. I made the best out of all the mishaps this was not my day I was fortunate to be included in it and it had to be the best it could be for the Bride, Groom and Guests. I have spoken to DJ’s I know who agreed that there was no possible way to have foreseen all of the obstacles faced at this wedding. Others I have spoken to said they would have run.

So when picking your wedding DJ insure select one that is willing to go that extra mile for you. Pick a DJ with your best interest in mind, one that listens to you and does not plan your wedding for you. Remember the highest priced is not always the best choice, pick a competent DJ that fits in your budget.

Much Respect

DJ O.C.P

Another Badd Creation Mobile DJ Service

Serving Clay and Duval Counties From
Keystone Heights, Middleburg, Green Cove Springs, Starke, Waldo, Palatka, Gainesville, Melrose, and Jacksonville Florida

http://anotherbaddcreation.com
http://claycountymobiledj.com
http://claycountymobiledj.net
http://claycountymobiledj.info
http://claycountymobiledj.org

No comments: